Sunday, January 25, 2015

I found this great article, too. It can help you learn better! The title of the article is "6 important things you should know about how your brain learns" by Belle Beth Cooper. Here is the link to the article: http://blog.pickcrew.com/6-things-know-brain-learns/. The article is about how the brain works to help people learn better. The article is really useful for anybody, but it is especially useful for my students. I learned that it is important to take in information visually; it is important to get sleep, especially within 30 hours of reading or hearing something for the first time; learning the general idea of something is important for understanding the whole thing; teaching others is a good way to learn yourself; and that it is good to learn a variety of aspects about something you're learning in a mixed way rather than trying to learn it in a strictly linear way. The idea of learning in a mixed way seems to support what I have heard on the NPR program I shared with my students: that stepping away from studying from time to time is actually better than trying to study something all at once.

I like this article because it is based on good information, from research by professionals, and it supports what I am teaching my students, especially about the importance of understanding the main idea of a paragraph and reading: "When the brain takes in new information, it hangs onto it better if it already has some information to relate it to. This is where starting with the gist of an idea can be helpful: it gives you something to hang each detail on as you learn it." Also, I like that it supports the use of small groups in classes because it shows that teaching others is a good way to learn yourself. Furthermore, I like the article because it gives practical suggestions about what people can do to make use of the research. There is not really anything about the article I did not like.





No comments:

Post a Comment